20 February 2005

Fahrvergnuegen...

Well, believe it or not, this is not about my impending new car....

As most of you probably know, my life lately has been a bit bumpy. Not so much bad, but just a bunch of crappy cards dealt to me. I have found that driving has a great way of clearing the head, even if it is in a Ford Tempo. I just took a long detour on my way home from poker (I lost 2 bucks, but it was fun anyway). I just felt like driving. I turned up my music, got on the highway and just drove. At this time on a Sunday night, it's not too crowded out there, so I was able to forget about things, throw it into fifth gear and cruise. Nothing but me, the car and the road. The Germans definitely have it down to a T: Fahrvergnuegen, which means, literally "joy of driving." Although that translation doesn't come close to describing it. To me, driving is almost spiritual. (Put away that straight-jacket, I'm not insane!) When I am able to just drive, I get onto a different level. I guess it's the feeling a lot of people get when they're in church...and please don't send me angry emails about me comparing a car to any religious figures...that's not what I mean. I suppose that's why I'm so excited about getting my Jetta. (c'mon, you knew I couldn't make it through an entire post without mentioning it.) With my current car, I can get away for a bit. But with my Jetta, I will be able to hop in and drive wherever, as far as I want, without having to worry about the condition of my car. Besides, the Jetta actually has personality that I can feel when I drive one. OK, now you can get out the straight-jacket.

So there ya go: a little insight into me and my obsession with cars and driving. I feel better now that I've gone on my drive. Maybe now you can understand why I am so excited about my car that I am at least a month and a half away from getting....

No comments: