27 October 2007

Sufjan Stevens' Song Names

I've been updating my music library (adding missing album artwork and such), so that Cover Flow on my MacBook and eventual iPhone looks nice and spiffy. As I was doing this, I noticed that one of my favorite (and stereotypical) indie bands, Sufjan Stevens (pronounced Soof-yan) has some very interesting names for their songs. I'm sure they have some meaning, but I have no idea what they are.


  • The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself In the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, "I Have Fought the Big Knives..."

  • Come On! Feel the Illinoise!, Pt. I: The World's Columbian Exposition / Pt. II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In a Dream

  • A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way In Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis In the Great Godfrey Maze

  • Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don’t Think They Heard It All the Way Out In Bushnell

  • One Last "Whoo-hoo!" for the Pullman

  • Out of Egypt, Into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals As I Run

  • The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us

  • Riffs and Variations On a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few

  • A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons

  • The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders, Pt. I: The Great Frontier / Pt. II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now

  • They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!

  • To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and It Involves an Inner Tube, Bath Mats, and 21 Able-bodied Men

  • Springfield, or Bobby Got a Shadfly Caught In His Hair

  • The Vivian Girls Are Visited In the Night By Saint Dargarius and His Squadron of Benevolent Butterflies

Also, as a sidenote, the band was forced to remove Superman from this album cover due to copyright issues. I say, copyrights be damned. I like the Superman cover.

No comments: