12 October 2006

Holes

So, I got home about a half hour ago after being gone since 8:00 this yesterday morning. And what to my wondering ears do I hear, but *drip drip drip!* Sure enough, I look up at the ceiling in my living room and there are two little bumps from which water is dripping! Great, I thought, not again. Yep, apparently the repairs they made to my roof last time weren't meant to last. So, I called the Sandalwood call service, and as expected, they told me they'd have someone out to look in the morning. Then, less than five minutes after I hung up, the dripping grew faster and right before my eyes, the two little bumps on the ceiling merged and became one huge bump. So, I called the call service again and told them I needed to get this fixed "NOW!" A couple minutes later, the maintenance guy told me that the only thing I could do tonight would be to poke a hole with a screwdriver in the center of the bump inverted hill. Then I got to thinking, why is it that the solution to every problem I have seems to be poking holes in what I want fixed? At the risk of sounding more nerdy than I actually am, this quotation from Dr. McCoy in Star Trek IV seems apt: "My God, man. Drilling holes in his head isn't the answer!"

Note: You can get an idea of how big the "bump" is by comparing it to the size of the light and the size of the shadow the "bump" casts.

No comments: