20 August 2005

Bad news... kind of... not really...

I have some bad news. Well, it's not that bad, because there is better news that makes the bad news not seem so bad. My news is only bad if you take it out of context. That is, if you don't look at the good news that makes the bad news good, the bad news seems really bad, but it is in fact good. Maybe, if I tell you the bad news in a good way...
*smack*
Thanks, I needed that...

So, here's the bad news that doesn't seem so bad when *smack*

ahem...

I won't be getting my Jetta. As I have said before, I will more-than-likely be going to Germany next year. Unfortunately, because I'll be a student teacher, DoD won't be paying my expenses. In fact, the won't be paying me at all. My "student teaching experience with DoDDS is gratuitous service performed without benefit or expectation of compensation from the Federal Government." (Funny how the government capitalizes its name as one would capitalize God's name...) So, they'll let me fly out to Germany to teach for them, but they won't pay me for it. Basically, by heading to Germany, I'll be going an entire semester without pay (ouch!), which means that I need to save every penny I can in order to be able to fly to and live in Germany. It'll be one heck of an adventure and I'm pretty stoked about it!

And, if I get a full teaching position after my student teaching, DoD will take VERY GOOD care of me for teaching for them. The pay is about $7,000 higher per year than beginning teaching positions in the States, they offer me either free housing or housing allowances, I get access to the commissary and PX, and I'll have full benefits. Should leave plenty of room for a NICE German car with German specs! Woot woot!

Check out the pics: These are where DoD schools are located around the world and where the three school districts in Germany are. There are about 5-6 high schools per district in Germany, so I shouldn't have any major problems getting a student teaching position there!

No comments: