03 January 2008

Thoughts on Iowa

I've been watching the Iowa Caucuses all evening and I had a few thoughts...

First, don't overestimate the importance of the caucuses. Less than 1% of the population of America voted, and we still have a ways to go before we can say who the candidates are going to be. Thankfully, though, it has already weeded a couple of the candidates out. That's always nice.

As most of you know, I've been a little kind of very extremely cynical about our political system lately. While some of that cynicism is still there, it is heartening to see such enthusiasm. Coming out of this current administration, regardless of your opinion of it, this country needs someone who can light a fire and bring some change. I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet (not Huckabee or Edwards), but I definitely feel better about this race than I have since before the 2000 election debacle, which was my first time I was able to vote.

All that said, I must say that I am impressed by Barack Obama. I don't entirely agree with his political position, but the enthusiasm he has inspired among his supporters -- especially the younger demographics -- is damned impressive.

We'll see what happens, but I think I might actually enjoy watching (and perhaps participating more than just voting...) this race.

No comments: